District Council of Grant

You are here:  Home > Our Services > Rates & Property

Rates & Property

You will find on this page:


Why do we pay Council rates?

Local Government provide a wide range of services for the benefit of the community, including managing and maintaining expensive infrastructure such as local roads, libraries, parks and playgrounds, and street lighting, as well as providing services such as planning and development assessment, waste collection, information and economic development.

One of the ways in which Councils fund these services is through their statutory power to charge “council rates”. The only tax available to Councils in SA, it accounts for the largest portion of Council funds.  Fees and charges, and grants from Federal and State governments make up the balance.

The District Council of Grant receives the majority of its revenue from rates.

How are  my rates calculated?

All land within a Council area, except for land specifically exempt (e.g. crown land, Council occupied land and other land prescribed in the Local Government Act 1999 - refer section 147 of the Act) is rateable.

The Local Government Act provides for a Council to raise revenue for the broad purposes of the Council through a general rate, which applies to all rateable properties, or through differential general rates, which apply to classes of properties. The Council also raises revenue through fees and charges.

The Council adopted at its meeting held 19 June 2017:

  • Capital Valuations of the Valuer-General for rating purposes totalling $ 2,262,072,180.
  • General rate in the dollar of 0.3363  
  • Minimum rate of $584
  • Community Wastewater Management Scheme:
    • Service Charge of $485.00 per annum on all vacant land; and
    • $568.00 per annum on all occupied land
  • Mobile Garbage Bin Service Charge of $242

Separate Rates

Natural Resources Management (NRM) Levy

Natural Resources Management (NRM) Levy is a State Government imposed tax, which councils are required to collect on behalf of the State Government under the Natural Resources Management Act 2004, with all funds going to the State Government.

All enquiries or concerns about the NRM Levy should be directed to the South East NRM Board on 08 8735 1177 or www.nrm.sa.gov.au.

Pelican Point Coastal Protection

Council has resolved to impose a separate rate on Pelican Point landowners identified within Zones 1 & 2 of the Pelican Point Protection Strategy Project Brief to reimburse Council for the costs of the Design Works.  There are 36 properties covered by this separate rate of $322 which will recover $23,190 over the 2016-17 and 2017-18 financial years.

Cape Douglas (CWMS)

7 properties situated in Cape Douglas that have not paid the construction costs for CWMS (completed in 2010) will be charged $1,613 over the next 10 years (from 2016-17 to 2026-27) to recover this cost.

Valuations & Objections

The Council has adopted the valuations made by the Valuer-General as provided to the Council for 2017/2018. If a ratepayer is dissatisfied with the valuation made by the Valuer-General then the ratepayer may object to the Valuer-General in writing, within 60 days of receiving the notice of the valuation, explaining the basis for the objection, provided they have not:

(a)   previously received a notice of this valuation under the Local Government Act 1999, in which case the objection period is 60 days from the receipt of the first notice, or 

(b)   previously had an objection to the valuation considered by the Valuer-General.

The address of the Valuer-General is:

State Valuation Office
GPO Box 1354

Email LSGobjections@sa.gov.au

Ph: 1300 653 345

Please note that the Council has no role in the valuation of a property.  It is also important to note that the lodgement of an objection does not change the due date for the payment of rates.

Further information on property valuations can be found at Department of Premier & Cabinet Property Valuations 

Objection to Land Use

Natural Resource Management charges imposed by the South Australian Government are based on various Land Use Categories. Should you have any reason to believe that the Land Use Category applied to your account is incorrect, you may lodge a written objection with Council outlining the grounds upon which your objection is based.  Objections must be submitted to Council within 60 days of receiving your first notice.

Rates are still due and payable by the due date even if an objection has been lodged.

Payment of Rates

Quarterly payments due:

  • 1 September 2017
  • 1 December 2017
  • 2 March 2018
  • 1 June 2018

A rates notice will be sent to ratepayers 30 days prior to each due date.  A ratepayer may also pay their rates in a single instalment due by September of that year.

The Local Government Act 1999 provides that councils impose a penalty of a 2% fine on any payment for rates that are received late.  A payment that continues to be late is then charged an interest rate, set each year according to a formula in the Act, for each month it continues to be late.

Any ratepayer who may, or is likely to, experience difficulty with meeting the standard payment arrangements is invited to contact Council on (08) 8721 0400to discuss making alternative payment arrangements.

Council offers an incentive to those who pay their total account on or before the September instalment - a BONUS waste disposal voucher which entitles the bearer to 2 additional disposals.

Methods of Payments

Council is also registered for BPay View payments (for Rates payments only):  Log into your online banking account, look for the BPay View or View Bills section, and register your bill.  For further information visit www.bpay.com.au/bpayview.

Payment by EFT

BSB: 105-002
Account: 046258840
Reference Number: (your assessment number)

Using telephone or internet this service is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Contact your bank or financial institution for further details.


Use the Biller Code and Reference Number on the front of your Rates Notice.
Call or visit the website of your financial institution to make your payment direct from your bank account or credit card.

Payment by Phone

Call Council (Mon - Fri: 8.30am to 5pm) on 08 8721 0444 (Visa or MasterCard only).

Paying in Person

At Council Office: 324 Commercial Street West, Mount Gambier  SA  5290 (Mon - Fri: 8.30am to 5pm); Port MacDonnell Community Complex: 7 Charles Street, Port MacDonnell  SA  5291 (Mon - Thu: 9am to 5pm;    Fri: 9am to 8pm) or at any Post Office.

By Post

Post your payment slip with your cheque or money order made payable to District Council of Grant to PO Box 724, Mount Gambier SA 5290.

Centrepay – the easy way to pay your bills and expenses.

Centrepay is a voluntary bill-paying service that is free for Centrelink customers. Use Centrepay to arrange regular Deductions from your Centrelink payment. You can start or change a Deduction at any time. The quickest way to do it is through your Centrelink account online.

BPay View

Council is also registered for BPay View payments (for Rates payments only). Log into your online banking account, look for the BPay View or View Bills section, and register your bill.  For further information visit www.bpay.com.au


Receive your rates via email

Have your Council rates notice conveniently delivered online to any device.  Just scan the QR code printed on your rates notice, or at dcgrant.formsport.com.au, or here:


Register your details and your next notice will be delivered to your nominated email address. You can also log in to view your notices online at any time.


Rate Concessions

Previously, the State Government funded concessions on Council rates.  These concessions were formerly available to the holders of pensioner concession cards, veterans, low income earners, unemployed, students and self-funded retirees. The previous concessions were abolished by the State Government effective from 1 July 2015 and the concessions were replaced with a single "cost of living payment" provided directly to those entitled. From 1 July 2017, the concession entitlements for Council Community Waste Water Schemes (CWMS) will be paid directly to those entitled.

To check eligibility, contact the Department for Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI) Concessions Hotline 1800 307 758 or www.sa.gov.au.


Postponement of Rates - Seniors

Ratepayers who hold a State seniors card (or who are eligible to hold a State seniors card and have applied for one) are able to apply to Council to postpone payment of rates on their principal place of residence.  Postponed rates remain as a charge on the land and are not required to be repaid until the property is sold or disposed of. Please contact the Council on 08 87210444 for further information.


Useful Forms

Objection to Land Use Description

Application for Alteration to Assessment Record

Rates Payment Plan Request

Postponement of Rates for Seniors Application Form

Glenelg River Grant Application

Notification of Change of Address

Single Farm Enterprise Application

Rural Property Address Request Form

Services Guide